Volume 10, Number 4, December 2019
Edited by Diego Mideros and Jo Mynard
- Introduction by Diego Mideros and Jo Mynard (319-322) [full text] [PDF]
Articles Continue reading
Volume 10, Number 3, September 2019
Edited by Jo Mynard
- Introduction by Jo Mynard (220-222) [Full text] [PDF]
- As If … A Game Theory Perspective on Self-Access Learning by Dominic G. Edsall (223-238) [Full text] [PDF]
- A Critical Review of Research on Language Learning Strategies used by Arab Learners of English by Anas Hajar (239-257) [Full text] [PDF]
- An Investigation into the Criteria Students Use When Selecting Graded Readers by Phoebe Lyon and Amber Barr (258-281) [Full text] [PDF]
- Transformative Language Use in and Beyond the Classroom with the Voice Story App by Naomi Wilks-Smith and Li Ping Thong (282-295) [Full text] [PDF]
- Self-Assessment Surveys – A Tool for Independent Learning in Lower-tier Dependent Classrooms by Craig Yamamoto and Yoko Kinoshita (296-318) [Full text] [PDF]
Cover photo: © Kanda University of International Studies, Chiba, Japan
Copyright © 2019 Studies in Self-Access Learning Journal, ISSN 2185-3762.
Copyright held by individual authors.
Volume 10, Number 1, March 2019
Special Issue: Papers from the Third Psychology of Language Learning Conference
Edited by David Mcloughlin and Jo Mynard
- Introduction to the Special Issue: Papers from the Third Psychology of Language Learning Conference by David McLoughlin and Jo Mynard (1-4) [full text] [PDF]
- Motivational Dynamics in Language Advising Sessions: A Case Study by Eduardo Castro (5-20) [full text] [PDF]
- Primary Teachers’ Experiences in Preparing to Teach Irish: Views on Language Proficiency and Promoting the Language by Claire M. Dunne (21-43) [full text] [PDF]
- Chinese Language Learner Motivation: Vision, Socialization and Progression by Junqing Jia (44-60) [full text] [PDF]
- A Pedagogical Attempt to Promote Japanese College EFL Learners’ Self-Growth by Masao Kanaoka (61-78) [full text] [PDF]
- Longitudinal Trajectories of Emotions in Four Dimensions Through Language Advisory Sessions by Ryo Moriya (79-110) [full text] [PDF]
Work in Progress
- Exploring Third-Age Foreign Language Learning from the Well-being Perspective: Work in Progress by Dorota Matsumoto (111-116) [full text] [PDF]
- Exploring Facilitative and Debilitative Spaces: A Shift in Focus from Classrooms to Learning Systems by Nathan Thomas (117-125) [full text] [PDF]
- Conference Review of Psychology of Language Learning 3, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan (June 7-10, 2018) by Greg Rouault and Colin Skeates (126-134) [full text] [PDF]
- The International Association for Psychology of Language Learning (IAPLL), 4th International Conference June 24-28, 2020, Cape Breton University, Sydney, Nova Scotia in Canada. https://www.iapll.com/pll4
Cover photo by Jo Mynard taken at PLL3, Tokyo, Japan. June, 2018.
Volume 9, Number 4, December 2018
Edited by Diego Mideros and Jo Mynard
- Introduction by Jo Mynard and Diego Mideros (413-414) [Full text] [PDF]
- Becoming a Language Learning Advisor: Insights From a Training Program in Brazil by Walkyria Magno e Silva and Eduardo Castro (415-424) [Full text] [PDF]
- A Comparative Analysis of Writing Strategies and Performance in a Saudi University by Miriam Alkubaidi (425-443) [Full text] [PDF]
Reviews (edited by Hisako Yamashita)
- ‘Learners About Learning’ Student Conference Review by Agnes Patko, Ann Flanagan, and Katherine Thornton (444-447) [Full text] [PDF]
- Review of the Independent Learning Association 2018 Conference by Elizabeth Schlingman (448-455) [Full text] [PDF]
- Supporting Educators in Developing Language Learner Autonomy. IATEFL Learner Autonomy Special Interest Group event. April 1, 2019. Liverpool, UK. Read more…
- Independence & Interdependence: The Asian Conference on Language Learning (ACLL2019), May 16-18, 2019. Tokyo, Japan. Read more…
Cover photo by Benjamin Snyder taken at SILC, Sojo University, Kumamoto, Japan
Copyright © 2018 Studies in Self-Access Learning Journal, ISSN 2185-3762. Copyright held by individual authors.
Volume 8, Number 4, December 2017
Edited by Kevin Knight, Jo Mynard and Erin Okamoto
Download complete issue [PDF] [ISSUU]
- Introduction: Supporting Leadership and Academic Development in a SALC by Kevin Knight, Jo Mynard and Erin Okamoto (291-293) [full text] [PDF]
- Conceptualizing Leadership Development in the KUIS SALC by Kevin Knight (294-304) [full text] [PDF]
- Using Social Networks to Promote Collaboration and Leadership in Foreign Language Learning by Micòl Beseghi (305-322) [full text] [PDF]
- The Evolution of a SAL Desk: From Academic Writing to Language Support by Shawn Andersson and Maho Nakahashi (323-333) [full text] [PDF]
- What Constitutes Effective Tutoring on Scripts and Oral Presentations? by Diletta Fabiani and Marta Soler Alemany (334-353) [full text] [PDF]
- Principles of my TOEIC Test-Prep Workshops and Self-Access Online Materials for TOEIC Preparation by Atsumi Yamaguchi (354-357) [full text] [PDF]
Reviews (Edited by Hisako Yamashita)
- Learning Japanese: Voices of Experience by Belinda Kennett and Yuriko Nagao reviewed by Michael Lin (358-361) [full text] [PDF]
- Language Learner Autonomy: Theory, Practice and Research by David Little, Leni Dam and Lienhard Legenhausen reviewed by Jo Mynard (362-370) [full text] [PDF]
- Asian Conference on Language Learning (ACLL), Kobe, Japan. April 27-29, 2018.
- Psychology of Language Learning Conference (PLL3), Tokyo, Japan. June, 2018.
- Independent Learning Association (ILA) Conference, Kobe, Japan. September 2018.
Call for Papers: Special Issue of SiSAL Journal. Selected papers from the 2017 Japan Association for Self-Access Learning (JASAL) Conference.
- To be edited by Hisako Yamashita, Clair Taylor and Andy Tweed and published in June 2018. The deadline for submissions from presenters or participants is March 31st 2018.
Cover photo: Global Plaza, Meijo University, Nagoya, Japan.
Special Issue: Papers from the 7th Independent Learning Association Conference in Wuhan, China, 4-7 November 2016
Edited by Kerstin Dofs and Moira Hobbs
Introductory Papers by Guest Editors Moira Hobbs and Kerstin Dofs
- Foreword (84-85) [full text] [PDF]
- Opening Speech (86-87) [full text] [PDF]
- Self-Access Centre and Autonomous Learning Management: Where Are We Now and Where Are We Going? (88-101) [full text] [PDF]
Papers by Keynote Speakers
- The Pedagogy of Learner Autonomy: Lessons from the Classroom by Sara Cotterall (102-115) [full text] [PDF]
- Autonomy in the Time of Complexity: Lessons from Beyond the Classroom by Garold Murray (116-134) [full text] [PDF]
- Language Learning Beyond the Classroom: Access all Areas by Phil Benson (135-146) [full text] [PDF]
Papers by Presenters at the Symposium on Self-Access Learning
- The Evolution and Devolution of Management and Training Needs for Self-Access Centre Staff by David Gardner (147-156) [full text] [PDF]
- Encouraging Autonomy Through a Community of Practice: The Role of a Self-Access Centre by Maria Giovanna Tassinari (157-168) [full text] [PDF]
- Promoting Learner Autonomy and Self-Directed Learning: The Evolution of a SALC Curriculum by Jo Mynard and Rob Stevenson (169-182) [full text] [PDFPDF]
- Autonomy and Complexity in Social Learning Space Management by Garold Murray (183-193) [full text] [PDF]
- Interview with Jianying Du, Kerstin Dofs and Moira Hobbs on Friday, November 4th, 2016, Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST) by Wen Shanshan (194-198) [full text] [PDF]
Calls for papers
Conference: The Japan Association on Self-Access Learning (JASAL) Annual Conference on 16th December, 2017 in Chiba, Japan. Deadline for submissions: September 3rd. https://jasalorg.com/2017/06/08/call-for-presentations-jasal-2017/
Special Issue of SiSAL Journal. December 2017 issue on student leadership in self-access to be edited by Kevin Knight, Jo Mynard and Erin Okamoto. Deadline for papers: September 10th. https://sisaljournal.org/for-authors/cfp-leadership/
Copyright © 2017 Studies in Self-Access Learning Journal, ISSN 2185-3762. Copyright held by individual authors.
Volume 7, Number 3, September 2016
A general issue edited by Jo Mynard
[Download complete PDF version] / [Access complete issue via ISSUU]
- Self-Access Centres in South Korea: Bridging Physical and Online Spaces by Seanan Clifford (237-259) [full text] [PDF]
- Advising in Language Learning: Confirmation Requests for Successful Advice-Giving by Yukari Rutson-Griffiths and Mathew Porter (260-286) [full text] [PDF]
Edited by Hisako Yamashita
- New Scenarios in Autonomy for Foreign Language Learning: Conference Summary and Reflections by Phil Benson, Marina del Carmen Chávez Sánchez, David McLoughlin, Jo Mynard, and María de la Paz Adelia Peña Clavel (287-296) [full text] [PDF]
Language Learning Spaces: Self-Access in Action
Edited by Katherine Thornton
Part 6: Attracting users
- Introduction: Promoting Engagement with Language Learning Spaces: How to Attract Users and Create a Community of Practice by Katherine Thornton (297-300) [full text] [PDF]
- Increasing Attendance in a Self-Access Language Lounge by Simon Bibby, Kym Jolley, and Frances Shiobara (301-311) [full text] [PDF]
- Extensive Reading as the First Step to Use the SALC: The Acclimation Period and a Community of Language Learners by Satomi Shibata (312-321) [full text] [PDF]
- Promoting Independent English Language Learning within an Asian Tertiary Institution: The Lingnan Experience by Marc C. LeBane, Mariel Shilling, and Austin Harris (322-330) [full text] [PDF]
- Student conference: Empowering Students in Self-Access Learning Conference (ESSALC) on October 15th. More details.
Cover photo: Taken in the SALC at Hiroshima Bunkyo Women’s University, Japan.
Copyright © 2016 Studies in Self-Access Learning Journal, ISSN 2185-3762. Copyright held by individual authors.