SiSAL Journal (ISSN 2185-3762)
(/si:sæl/) SiSAL Journal is an open access, peer-reviewed, quarterly publication for those interested in the field of self-access language learning. The articles reflect the ongoing contributions to the field and are aimed at international researchers and practitioners. The scope of the journal incorporates self-access learning and skills support centers which aim to promote learner autonomy.
The journal is published by Kanda University of International Studies (KUIS), Chiba, Japan. The journal started as a project within the English Language Institute / Self-Access Learning Center (SALC) at KUIS in 2010. Read more about the SALC.
Open access commitment
SiSAL Journal operates a true open access policy in line with the Budapest Open Access Initiative (BOAI), i.e.
“By “open access” to [peer-reviewed research literature], we mean its free availability on the public internet, permitting any users to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of these articles, crawl them for indexing, pass them as data to software, or use them for any other lawful purpose, without financial, legal, or technical barriers other than those inseparable from gaining access to the internet itself. The only constraint on reproduction and distribution, and the only role for copyright in this domain, should be to give authors control over the integrity of their work and the right to be properly acknowledged and cited”. (BOAI website)
Publication ethics and malpractice statement
- Editorial board: Members of the advisory, editorial, and review boards are recognised experts in the field of self access, language learner autonomy, and/or related disciplines.
- Author responsibilities: There are no fees or charges for authors at any stage of the submission, review, editorial, or publication process. Authors are required to have significantly contributed to the field of language learning and self-access. All authors must provide retractions or corrections of mistakes where they occur. Where applicable, a list of references and a statement of financial support must be included in all articles. Authors retain copyright over their work, but must not publish same research in more than one journal.
- Peer review process: All content is subjected to peer-review which involves obtaining advice on all manuscripts from experts in the field. Editors make objective decisions based on advice. All papers undergo a double blind peer review process and reviewers have no conflict of interest. Reviewers have a duty to recommend relevant published work that has not been included in the submission. All articles are treated confidentially.
- Publication ethics: Publishers and editors make reasonable attempts to detect research misconduct and prevent the publication of such papers. SiSAL Journal does not encourage or knowingly allow research misconduct to occur. If the editorial team were made aware of any allegation of research misconduct, it would be investigated and dealt with appropriately. If an article is retracted, it will be removed from the journal immediately and a public statement placed in relevant sections of the journal. Necessary corrections, clarifications, retractions, and apologies may be posted by authors or editors where appropriate at any time.
- Copyright and access: SiSAL Journal is an open-access journal. Copyright is held by the individual authors. Articles are freely available for download on a web browser or as individual PDF documents.
- Archiving: Journal archives are stored in five places. Should the journal be no longer published, readers will still have access to the archives via ISSUU, Google, and DOAJ. A backup copy is also securely preserved on the editor’s PC.
- Ownership and management: SiSAL Journal is owned by Kanda University of International Studies. It is managed by an editor who is a full-time faculty member at that institution.
- Website: The website is regularly updated by editorial team members and care has been taken to ensure high standards of accuracy, ethics and professional standards.
- Publishing schedule: SiSAL Journal is published on time, four times per year in March, June, September and December.
- Name of journal: SiSAL Journal (Studies in Self-Access Learning Journal) is a unique name and is very unlikely to mislead potential contributors.
Self-Access Learning Center (SALC)
Kanda University of International Studies
Wakaba 1-4-1, Mihama-ku,
Chiba, Japan 261-0013
Copyright © 2020 Studies in Self-Access Learning Journal, ISSN 2185-3762.
Copyright held by individual authors.